Step 1 - Where Do I Go Next?

If you are suffering from medical hair loss, or if you are shedding hair more than normal then you need to visit your GP to have a diagnosis made and treatment offered.

If further assessments need to take place then your GP will refer you to a specialist in dermatology. A dermatologist studies the skin, which includes hair loss. Your recommended NHS dermatologist will provide the best medical advice available, but you can also visit a consultant dermatologist privately.

It may also be prudent to consider a consultation with a Trichologist. Trichology is a branch of dermatology which focuses on the health of hair and the scalp. Trichologists are non-medically qualified but are members of the medical profession.

Take a look at the websites of the Insitute of Trichology UK and the British Association of Dermatology for more information, or if you wish to talk through the first steps then contact an Esteem consultant.

If you already have a medical treatment plan or about to start treatment as a result of cancer or lupus then you are being well advised. Esteem can work with your medical plan and make recommendations for complimentary therapies that will promote wellbeing, health and important coping strategies. Esteem practitioners are registered and qualified therapists.